Tuesday, Jan 2021

Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has insisted that the Federal Government has no plan to obtrude another lockdown contradicting the statement made by the National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19.

The Information Minister who made this known at a conference further appealed to Nigerians to adhere to all protocols outlined by the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 as the Federal Government was not happy with the negligent and complicity displayed by Nigerians as regards the pandemic.

The minister said, “On the issue of lockdown, I don’t think there is any time when the Federal Government has said it is going to have a second lockdown. However, the Federal Government is very unhappy that Nigerians are not adhering to the basic Covid-19 protocols of wearing face masks, or practicing social distancing, of washing hands, of ensuring that they do gather in large numbers.

“If we do not do these, the surge will continue and with the new strain of Covid-19 which is becoming much more difficult to handle than the old strain, the Federal Government will continue to insist and encourage Nigerians to please obey the Covid-19 protocols.

“The Federal Government is aware of the economic and social implications of a second lockdown but we want to call on Nigerians to help us, help themselves and help the economy, by adhering strictly to the Covid-19 protocols.”

The National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on Covid-19, Dr Sani Aliyu, said this during a TV interview on Sunday, January 3.


Aliyu who insisted that the only way Nigerians can prevent the enforcement of another lockdown is to adhere to the non-pharmaceutical protocols of Coronavirus further revealed that he was shocked that Nigerians could still flout the protocols even during the second wave of the pandemic which appears to be deadlier than the first wave.

“If you don’t want a lockdown, the only way is to make sure we use our facemasks, avoid mass gatherings, avoid people who have respiratory tract infections, sanitise our hands and follow those non-pharmaceutical interventions. The very vaccines that we currently have are those non-pharmaceutical interventions. If numbers continue to go up, all options are on the table.


“There are countries in the world that have been able to control this pandemic simply by following these non-pharmaceutical interventions. They may be inconvenient, but they will not be as difficult as a lockdown” he said

Aliyu disclosed that 33 persons died of COVID in the last one week further adding, “We are talking holistically here. All I can say is that 33 people died of COVID-19 in the last one week. Are we saying those people died for nothing?

“We have just recorded 6,000 cases in one week, far more than we ever recorded. COVID-19 exists; anybody who says COVID-19 does not exist is probably living in a completely different world. In the last one week, we’ve had a tripling of cases. You can see what’s happening in the United States, you can see what’s happening in the UK. I’m sure most of those who have been following the numbers will realise that what we have now far exceeds what we had in June/July last year.”

Back To Top