Walter Onnoghen, suspended chief justice of Nigeria (CJN), has shown up before the  Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).

The embattled CJN pleaded “not guilty” to the charges filed against him at the CCT. 

Onnoghen is being arraigned for a six-count charge bordering on false declaration of assets.

There are reports that there are plots to remove Onnoghen from office before the general election.

he had previously failed to appear before the tribunal for five consecutive time with His lawyers having to challenge the jurisdiction of the tribunal to entertain the matter.

The appeal court also refused to stay proceedings at the CCT.

At the tribunal on Friday, Danladi Umar, CCT chairman, set aside the order for the arrest of Onnoghen before he took his plea.

Umar said the warrant of arrest has been set aside because Onnoghen appeared at the tribunal.

“He must henceforth make himself available throughout the proceedings,” the CCT chairman said.

After the plea was read, Uche Chris, counsel to the suspended CJN, applied for bail.

The counsel to the federal government did not oppose the application.

Onnoghen was then granted bail based on self-recognition.

Umar adjourned the matter till February 21 to hear all pending applications before the tribunal.

 
e-max.it: your social media marketing partner